How to get involved?
For a detailed description of the new model for Parent Carer Participation in Bristol, you can click on What is Parent Participation?
In brief, there are 5 elements to the model, providing at least 5 different ways that parent carers can get involved. Returning to our elephant theme, the 5 elements are:
- Parent carer organisation – the Heart– the more people involved the stronger it is.
- Events – the Body– the large thing that people see.
- Focus groups – the Legs– always keeping us moving forward.
- Steering group – the Head– organising everything.
- Website – the Trunk – calling out to everyone.
So you can get involved by:
- being placed on Bristol Parent Carers’ mailing list for updates on the parent carer participation process.
- attending the next Bristol Parent Carers event.
- being a member of the Steering Group.
- being a member of any of our 4 current focus groups working on:-
-transition from child services to adult services
- specialist education provision
- effective information
- access to social care services
- helping to develop the website.
- signing up for training opportunities to develop skills in:-
-developing and running a website
- helping in any other way that you can tell us about.
Reasons for getting involved
People get involved with Bristol Parent Carers for a whole range of different reasons. Perhaps you want:
- to know what’s going on.
- to have your say.
- to improve things.
- to learn something new.
- to share your skills.
- to join with others in a similar situation.
This is your organisation, so the aim is for as many parent carers to get involved as possible.In this way we can share the load, and the time required from any one parent is reduced.
So join together, stay in touch, and get your voice heard!