NEWS! – Changes to the Family Travel Scheme
Funds for BPC’s Family Travel Scheme (FTS) are coming to an end. Bristol City Council has advised that from October 2020 onwards there will be a change in purpose and eligibility for help with travel. The FTS will change to the new Fun Activities in Bristol (FAB) Travel Scheme.
Please Note: Separate travel support exists for the activities run by Short Breaks Providers contracted by Bristol City Council. Families should discuss travel support with these organisations directly. This support will continue CLICK HERE.
Purpose and eligibility of the FAB Travel Scheme
This scheme is for families with SEND child(ren), 0-18yrs, who live in the Bristol council tax area. It will only provide travel support (vehicle, train, bus, taxi): –
- for the most vulnerable families, on benefits / low income
- who do not own a car / cannot drive
- preferably, for a child with SEND to access an organised fun activity – giving the parent a break
- or for organised stay & play sessions and local trips – if the family uses a Personal Assistant, the parent can still get a break CLICK HERE
- for activities within the Bristol council tax area or on its close borders with neighbours (BANES, Nth Somerset, Sth Glos) – if an activity is run in more than one location, we will suggest the one closest to you.
To check if you are eligible and to book a trip, contact our administrator Heather Lewin by email: firstname.lastname@example.org or phone: 07954 473953 on Tuesday and Thursday 9.30am – 1.00pm.
Places you can go
Let us help you access the following in Bristol: –
- Organised activity sessions aimed at children with SEND
- Organised activity sessions aimed at all children (city farms, city parks, adventure playgrounds). If your child cannot access mainstream activities without support – there is help available from the Disabled Children’s Service (call 0117 903 8250; email: InclusionService@bristol.gov.uk)
- Accessible sport sessions
- Organised stay & play sessions
- Bristol venues including cinemas, leisure centres, outdoor spaces and play parks
- Out-of-school activities and after-school clubs.
CLICK HERE to see examples of free or low-cost activities being run this October/November 2020.
Please Note: Bristol Parent Carers has not done any checks on the organisations listed; it is up to parent carers to ask the organisers whether these activities are suitable for their children.
Also refer to the following pages on Bristol’s SEND Local Offer to discover more places as they open up: –
Important information at this time
- Most sessions need to be booked in advance
- Due to the uncertainty of Covid19 and lockdown/restrictions – watch out for cancellations
- Many venues offer carers-go-free, or reduced disability membership – to help with this, apply for a Disabled pink card CLICK HERE
- Currently many organisations are only doing activities online – have fun with your kids using these if you cannot travel anywhere.
Things you can NOT use the scheme for
- Family holidays
- Destinations outside of Bristol and its close borders with neighbours
- Organisations booking large group trips
- Activities organised by Short Breaks Providers contracted by the Council.
Bristol Parent Carers plans to apply for some extra funding so that we can offer some Local Family Trips over the next 5 months, using minibuses and coaches. Look out for our survey coming soon, which will ask you about the sort of places you would like to visit and how you want to travel in groups.
Last updated: 19/10/2020